Obviously this is a pretty generic question that I’m asking, but being a PvPer I want to focus on Lock Tanks in RBGs.
Back in Patch 5.2 something great happened to me. It wasn’t something I saw coming, or something that I thought would actually work. You see, a guild I was in on Blackrock had an RBG team the only problem was that they had no tank to flag carry, defend bases or carry orbs. This left them pugging for one more often than not until one day I was asked if I had a tank, which I didn’t…or did I?
Being main spec Demonology Warlock I offered that if they couldn’t find a tank and were desperate, I would attempt to fill the spot in demo’s ‘tank form’ and after a while I was in the raid group and we were queued for RBGs. I had no idea what I was in for, and the first game we lost – this was not a good start. Being the type of person people love to hate, I decided this was not good enough for me as the only people bummed out were the ones in my raid group, not the other team. Winging it is something I enjoy most so I stacked all my gems resilience, and all my enchants stamina and resilience wherever I could.
As ridiculous as it seemed having Stamina and Dodge on my legs and shoulders we tried again and won. For game 3 I talented into Dark Regen, Howl of Terror, GoSac, Soul Link, Burning Rush and Archimonde’s Vengeance. What have I done? Have I broken the game? I was unstoppable. I out-tanked all tanks and we were soon 1800 without breaking a sweat. The HP I was gaining was unbelievably high to the point I thought I broke the game.
Patch 5.3 I took a long break and didn’t do much at all but today 5.4 is here and I decided to resurrect my god-like Warlock. Patch 5.3 brought in the changes to Resilience, and Patch 5.4 changed it again so I now stack stamina gems (though, I could stack mastery for damage reduction, but I have a huge ego and like seeing big numbers). Also, my spec changed a bit which I’ll outline below.
The image above is what my current gear looks like. Stamina Gems and Enchants, with the exception of one Resilience to Chest Enchant. Note the Stamina on-use trinket, too.
Okay cool James but where are these big numbers you talk about? Patience, little ones, let’s first talk about what these big numbers will do for us. Firstly our Dark Regeneration ticks for a lot moreso, if you have the Glyph of Healthstone you now have healing that’s pretty hard to DPS through – unless silenced.
Silences are Tank Warlocks downfall, it means we can’t heal, or blow any of our self heals which makes me upset and ragey. But do we need our heals always? Not at all! Thanks to our Unending Resolve (40% Damage Reduction) and PvP on-use Stamina Trinket (+ ~60k HP) we can withstand a bit of damage before having to do anything about it, plus realistically we’ll have a pocket healer in RBGs anyway. So let’s quickly break down the spec for a second…
- Dark Regeneration: Restores 30% of my health, and increases healing received by 25% for 12 seconds
- Mortal Coil: Restores 15% of my current HP.
- Soul Link
- Burning Rush (or Blood Horror if melee heavy)
- Grimoire of Sacrifice: Sacrificing a Void Walker awards ‘Shadow Bulwark’ – Increasing my HP by 30%.
- Archimonde’s Darkness: Dark Soul has 2 charges
- Glyph of Demon Hunting: This gives us tank form
- Glyph of Healthstone: 100% more healing from a healthstone, but restored over 10 seconds.
- Imp Swarm: Not needed and can be replaced with other things. I use this for a tiny little bit of pressure and to make things a bit more confusing.
Spells & Items
- Dark Soul: Increases Mastery by 30% for 20 seconds. This translates to 30% Physical Damage Reduction, and 15% Spell Damage Reduction
- Emblem of Tenacity: Increase health by ~60k for 15 seconds.
- Horde Battle Standard: Increases health by 15%
- Flask of the Earth (cannot be used in RBGs): Increases Stamina by 1,500 for one hour.
- Dark Intent: Increases HP and SP by 10%
- Rallying Cry: Increases party of raid members health by 20% for 10 seconds.
So as you can see there is a lot of Damage Reduction, Self Healing and HP Gains in this spec. The screeenshot i’m about to show you is me ‘being fair’. I only used the cooldowns I can use outside of Battlegrounds, with the use of no flasks or banners. Now keep in mind that all the self heals I have are based on percentages of my current HP.
…from 700k baseline to 1027k with CD’s outside of BG’s. Inside a normal batteground with all items, spells, talents, glyphs and CDs mentioned above used, I sit around 1300k-1400k HP (Not including Rallying Cry). Convinced yet? You should be. In 5.4 tanks now get a debuff when entering BGs but lucky for us – we’re not a real tank. Mix this with the speed and maneuverability of a lock thanks to Burning Rush and Demon Leap a well played Demonology Tank is both hard to kill, fast and oh-so-sexy.
Have you ever played a Demo Tank or come up against one? What are your thoughts on them? I’d love to hear from you!